Thursday, June 23, 2011

Questions for AML Patients to ask their Doctors

Questions to Ask Your Doctor

General Questions
What type of AML do I have? What does it mean to have this variant of the disease?
Do you know how quickly it is likely to progress?
Can I enroll in a clinical trial? How would this affect the quality of my treatment?
What is the recommended treatment for my stage of AML?
If I don't have insurance coverage, what are my options?
Which center would be able to provide the best treatment for my leukemia?
Are there any other options besides a bone marrow transplant?
When should I start treatment?
If I have this treatment, what are my chances of survival?
If I have treatment, will my AML return?
What are the results of the cytogenetic testing?
What are the results of the immunophenotyping?
What can I do to lower my risk of infection during chemotherapy?
Can the leukemia spread once I am on chemotherapy?

After Induction Therapy
Are blasts present?
Do I have any infections?
What is my prognosis? Are there any lifestyle changes I can make to improve my prognosis?
Are blood counts returning to normal levels?
Has complete remission been achieved?
Why do I need more treatment after I achieve remission?

For Chemotherapy
What are the names of the drugs that will be used?
How many treatments will I need? Can I go home afterwards?
What will I feel like after my treatments? Work? Children?
What are the possible side effects of these treatments? Will my hair fall out? Will I be nauseous? Will I be exhausted? Will I get mouth sores?
Is there anything I can do to lessen the side effects?
If I am taking chemotherapy, can I eat all kinds of foods?
Will chemotherapy affect my sex life?
Will chemotherapy affect my chances of getting pregnant and having a normal baby? OR
Will chemotherapy affect my chances of fathering a child?

http://www.amlalliance.com/questions-to-ask-about-aml.html


For PapAmore', Arend 'Odee' Lenderink http://papamore.blogspot.com

No comments: