Wednesday, February 4, 2009

How could my Mom's Birthday be Happy, when my Dad is no longer here?


Once upon a time, because He so deeply loves us and really wanted us to see, God put a face on True Love.  He allowed us to witness an "in real life" story of what "to truly cherish someone" means.  

Lucky us, most of all, who saw this up close...and when we did, we were struck with the knowledge of...this must be what life and love really means.

When I think of PapAmore' - when I think of my sweet Mom, the very first thing that comes to mind...is sacred love.  

Love that you're in awe of, love that makes you personally feel better to be around, love that must be the kind we'll someday know in heaven, a love that, just from witnessing, you'll forever carry within yourself as well.

This was not a selfish love, this love didn't swallow up each other and escape from the world...rather it gave the one it most adored on earth the passion, support and desire to do even that much more, for every life it knew.

My parents never stopped holding hands under the table...they never lost that "drown in you" gaze.  When my Dad told me that once he met my beautiful Mother, that he never once laid eyes on another woman again...I never once questioned the validity behind his words.

It was a "look what I have" love, an "I am so blessed" love, a love that continually thanked their God above, first and foremost, for their greatest gift on earth, each other, together, in love.

A never could wain love, a "we will survive" love, a never should die love...a love without end...

A love that made sense of my own life's disdain...gave the pain in my marriage, my consistently beaten up heart, the hope to believe in something more.  

Most importantly, their love assured me of God's love.  It painted a picture of how HE intended love to be.  That true love is more than just a "Bible Story" but rather truly lives and breathes even amidst our sinful world, as was consistently evident in the very ones I most adored.

How do you live without your soul mate?  

However could God take my Dad from my Mom?  

Why wouldn't He want them to continue loving one another forever?  

Didn't He see the great hope their love brought to everyone else around?

Why is the essential other half of the epitome of love on earth...no longer here?

My Mom's birthday is in 3 days...and the one thing, the only thing, she wants...is no longer here...

Happy (un)happy Birthday, Mom...xoxoxoxoxoxo

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So now, without you here on earth, sweet Papa ... it is so clear, to me, because I did and do love you that much ... that the best way to love you now, to love you still - is to Love Her - Your Love - as best we're able ... ;)

Thanks for teaching me how to cherish another, Papamore' - in your footsteps, I will follow ...